He died on Mr. Lenhart's porch.

He died on Mr. Lenhart’s porch. The mysterious death of Andrew Hutchison in 1875.

He died on Mr. Lenhart's porch.

While researching the death of Eli Langley, who died while a prisoner of war at Andersonville Prison in 1864, I came across his widow’s (Rachel McCoy Langley) pension application files. One hundred and four pages of pension records-a genealogist’s jackpot!

But this post isn’t about Eli, it’s about Rachel’s second husband, Andrew Hutchison.

After the death of Eli, Rachel had a child out of wedlock (William Langley), fathered by Eli’s brother Braz Langley. They never married despite having a child together.

Rachel went on to marry her second husband, our mystery man, Andrew Hutchison in 1870. It is unknown who his parents were. There are a lot of Hutchisons in Union County, Tennessee as well as McCoys, Langleys, and Loys that all intermarried and created family lines that resemble a plate of spaghetti.

Not much is known about Andrew and it seems that his death was a bit of a mystery as well.

Marriage Certificate of Rachel and Andrew dated 1870. Marriage Certificate of Rachel and Andrew dated 1870.

So what happened to Andrew? 

Thanks to military pension records we have insight into the life and death of Andrew Hutchison.

In order to receive her widow’s pension benefits, Rachel gave a deposition regarding her second husband’s death. In her deposition, she states: “On July or August 1875, my husband who was working for a neighbor called Stooksbury left my home in this neighborhood on a Monday night to go work for Lewis Stooksbury. I heard no more of him until the following Thursday morning when I heard that he was dead.”

“I heard no more of him until…I heard that he was dead.”

For almost three days she was unaware of her husband’s demise.

Further, she states: “What I know of his death was told me by others and principally by the miller Mr. Lenhart.”

Mr. Lenhart in his deposition stated that a man driving Mr. Stooksbury wagon came to the mill. The man was sick and “he had him put to bed. During the night the man went out to the porch and that’s where he died”. He did not recognize the man but did recognize Stooksbury’s wagon.  He had two negros dig the grave and the unknown man was put in a dry-goods box and buried as soon as possible.

Witnesses say that owing to the fear surrounding cholera, those who died during this period were buried quickly without ceremony or record.

It was noted, by the pension board interviewer, that Mr. Lenhart, a wealthy man, was irritated that he had to “pay” for the unknown man’s burial and was never repaid by the family.

Fortunately, before he was buried a neighbor of Andrew’s came by and saw his body on the front porch and recognized him. Otherwise, there would be no legal witness as to his identification.  His deposition is on record.

Throughout the records, witnesses maintain that Andrew Hutchison died from cholera, which was rampant in the area. Mr. Stooksbury, his employer, lost a family member to cholera the same week. It is likely that Andrew contracted cholera when he picked up the grain to take to the mill.

Mr. Stooksbury picked up his wagon along with the clothing and boots of Andrew. He held onto the effects for a while for unknown reasons, eventually returning them to the widow.

I’m currently searching for the parents of Andrew Hutchison and as there are many Hutchisons in the area of Loyston, Tennessee,  it’s quite a tangled web.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *